9 Must-Read Self-Development Books for Women
Looking for a new book and a way to feel accomplished while you #stayhome? Check out these nine self-development books for women that cover everything from mindfulness and self care to leadership and career development.
Now that we’re living in the age of social distancing, many of us as women are looking for new ways to stay motivated, keep our hope alive, and practice self care. If this sounds like you, I highly recommend brewing yourself a hot cup of tea, curling up with your favorite candle and blanket and spending an evening with one of these books.
There are countless self help books out there, and finding the right one for your current situation can be overwhelming. Whether you’re interested in learning about mindfulness, practicing self-acceptance, or realigning your career, the books listed below might bring inspiration and comfort as we navigate the COVID-19 pandemic apart yet together.
1. You are a Badass by Jen Sincero
You are a Badass is a direct, funny and refreshing manifesto on overcoming limiting beliefs and busting past self doubt to live the life you want. This #1 New York Times Best Seller has inspired millions of people to identify self-sabotaging behaviors, reach their goals and make exciting life changes, so I definitely recommend picking up a copy! I gift this book to everyone in my group coaching programs, because I love it THAT much.
2. You are a Badass at Making Money by Jen Sincero
Are you ready to make financial abundance a reality? In You are a Badass at Making Money, Jen Sincero shares her story of achieving financial success by overcoming fear, self doubt and a victim mindset. This guide shares practical, insightful lessons for shifting your relationship with money, allowing you to unlock your true earning potential and make the income you’ve always dreamed of.
3. The Desire Map by Danielle LaPorte
The Desire Map will fundamentally change your approach to goal setting, ambition and achievement. Danielle LaPorte offers witty and practical advice on identifying your “core desired feelings” for your livelihood, health, relationships and more, turning the concept of success on its head so you can set and achieve goals that align with your soul. This is my go-to book for my one-on-one clients because it is SO life changing.
4. The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz
Based on ancient Toltec wisdom, The Four Agreements is a quick, inspiring afternoon read that goes through the sources of self-limiting beliefs that lead to suffering. It presents a transformative code of ethics that can help you find happiness, live in your truth and achieve authentic personal freedom. With over 8.5 million copies sold in the U.S., The Four Agreements is a powerful roadmap for living with intention and authenticity.
5. Dare to Lead: Brave Work. Tough Conversations. Whole Hearts by Brené Brown Leadership is a lot more than having a title or status. In Brené Brown’s best-seller, Dare to Lead she presents new research and evidence on how true changemakers lead with mindfulness and compassion in a world of scarcity. If you’re ready to make a real impact in your organization, this one is a must-read!
6. Why Not Me? by Mindy Kaling
Finding fulfillment in your personal life and career is a long journey with many twists and turns. In Why Not Me?, actress Mindy Kaling shares a collection of essays on finding excitement, joy and contentment as an adult. She covers everything from falling in love, making new friends and finding her path as an actress in Hollywood in a sassy, tongue-in-cheek tone that keeps readers hooked.
7. Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear by Elizabeth Gilbert If you’re looking to feed your creative streak, Elizabeth Gilbert shows that being brave and having faith in yourself can help you find the inspiration you need. Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear goes through Gilbert’s process for finding inspiration, fostering curiosity and chasing artistic ambitions. Whether you’re looking to write a book, start a business, or paint a masterpiece, this is a must-read for anyone with a creative thirst.
8. Radical Acceptance by Tara Brach Many women struggle with self-acceptance, especially in a society that constantly reminds us we’re not good enough. If feelings of shame or unworthiness are holding you back, Dr. Tara Brach offers strategies for overcoming insecurities and practicing self compassion so you can thrive in your career, relationships, creative endeavors and spiritual development. Radical Self Acceptance provides life-changing skills and meditations to help you appreciate yourself and others, so I highly recommend it!
9. Lean In: Women, Work and the Will to Lead by Sheryl Sandberg Women have unlimited potential to reach the top of their fields. In Lean In: Women, Work and the Will to Lead, Facebook’s Chief Operating Officer Sheryl Sandberg offers insight into achieving true career success and showing up in business with honesty, authenticity and balance. Her international best-selling book combines research and personal anecdotes on how women can find career achievement, fulfillment and reach their full potential.
Cheers to your potential & using this time to lean into what’s next for you!